The powerful new novel from Susan Fletcher, award-winning author of the bestselling EVE GREEN and OYSTERCATCHERS.
A profound tale of love, loss and the lore of the sea.
The islanders of Parla are still mourning the loss of one of their own. Four years since that loss, and a man – un-named, unclothed – is washed onto their shores. Some say he is a mythical man from the sea – potent, kind and beautiful; others suspect him. For the bereft Maggie, this stranger brings love back to the isle. But as the days pass he changes every one of them – and the time comes for his story to be told…
Tender, lyrical and redemptive, THE SILVER DARK SEA is the dazzling new novel from the author of EVE GREEN (winner of Whitbred First Novel award) and WITCH LIGHT. It is a story about what life can give and take from us, when we least expect it – and how love, in all its forms, is the greatest gift of all.
Reviews of The Silver Dark Sea
- Praise for ‘The Silver Dark Sea’:
- ‘Quietly beautiful…poetic, dreamlike prose’ Sunday Times
- ‘Susan Fletcher’s prose shimmers like light on water, and she’s equally adept at charting the emotions of her memorable characters … Old resentments are revisited, dark secrets are revealed, while barricaded, shut-away hearts let in the possibility of love’ Marie Claire Magazine
- ‘Fletcher is a powerful storyteller- full-blooded, a bit old-fashioned and with a knack for combining sensual narratives with a feel for ancient myth and natural landscape… Delicious, briny writing’ Metro
- ‘Smooth, flowing and feminine, Fletcher’s prose lulls you with its lyricism and emotional resonance… [a] fishy, mythical tale of love and loss and the depths that grief can reach’ Herald