A celebration of modern German home cooking from Anja Dunk’s young family kitchen.
Strudel, Noodles and Dumplings is a long-awaited revival of this underserved national cuisine, proving that there is more to German food than Bratwurst and Black Forest gateau.
Anja Dunk’s German food is gently spiced, smoky and deeply savoury. From recipes such as whole-wheat buttermilk waffles to caraway roast pork and red cabbage, quince and apple slaw, her way of cooking is vibrant, honest, quick and deeply intertwined with the seasons and the weather.
Featuring over 200 recipes for the everyday family table, as well as for snacks and special occasions, Anja’s cook book is an essential guide to all the basics of German cuisine, providing inspiration for appetising and comforting meals throughout the year.
Reviews of Strudel, Noodles and Dumplings: The New Taste of German Cooking
- ‘There are fewer taste buds I trust more in the world than Anja’s. She has an extraordinary understanding of flavour and you can bet that these beautiful and original recipes are 100% foolproof, too’ Meera Sodha
- ‘Anja’s writing is warm, evocative, engaging and transportive. There is a sense of old fashioned storytelling about it, and her recipes are clear and confident, you sense immediately you are in safe, experienced hands– I love that. One of the most original and inviting books I have seen for a long time’ Rachel Roddy
- ‘Just what the doctor ordered: straightforward no-nonsense family-friendly home-cooking in the German tradition that’ll work for everyone who wants to set good food on the table without fuss’ Elisabeth Luard
- ‘German food is having a bit of a moment and on the basis of this book there’s much to learn and appreciate…There’s a lightness, a roundedness and a soothing simplicity in everything she makes.’ Diana Henry, Sunday Telegraph, Best Books
- ‘This charming collection of recipes dispels any notions that German food is all bratwurst and stodge … It’s worth buying just for the cosy chapter on German biscuits, from cinnamon stars to Lebkuchen’ Sunday Times
- ‘Beautifully written and photographed by Dunk as well’ Independent
- ‘A compelling mix of nostalgia and new, this is an assured modern voice from an accomplished cook’ OFM