More people than ever are using alternative medicine. But, as expert Dr Paul Offit explains, these untested therapies are ineffective, expensive and even deadly.
Now that homeopathic remedies are offered on the NHS, it’s clear that various therapies once considered alternative or complementary, have become mainstream – prescribed to burn fat, shrink prostates, alleviate colds, reduce stress, eliminate pain and prevent cancer.
But as Paul Offit reveals, alternative medicine – an unregulated industry under no obligation to prove its claims or admit its risks – can actually be very harmful. In ‘Killing Us Softly’ he exposes how:
- Homeopathic asthma preparations and bogus cancer cures have replaced life-saving medicines.
- Acupuncture needles have pierced hearts, lungs, and livers and transmitted viruses, including hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV.
- Chiropractic manipulations have torn arteries.
- Megavitamins increase the risk of cancer and heart disease—a fact well known to scientists but virtually unknown to the public.
Using real-life case histories to back his argument, Dr Offit shows us why any medical treatment – alternative or conventional – must be properly evaluated. “There’s no such thing as alternative medicine. There’s only medicine that works and medicine that doesn’t.”
Reviews of Killing Us Softly: The Sense and Nonsense of Alternative Medicine
- “Offit is a rare combination of scientist, doctor, communicator and advocate. . . . What is needed is more people like [him] willing to engage the skeptics in a debate that just will not go away.” (Financial Times, on Deadly Choices)
- “Few scientists are willing to touch this third rail of science publicity; Offit grabs it with two hands.” (Newsweek, on Autism’s False Prophets)