With one night to remember a lifetime, I Married You for Happiness is a riveting and deeply moving love story.
“His hand is growing cold, still she holds it.”
The story unfolds over a single night, as Nina, numb with grief, sits at the bedside of her husband Philip. There she recalls the defining moments of their long marriage, the intimacies, dark secrets and overwhelming joys that shaped their lives.
Moving, powerful, and utterly engaging, I Married You for Happiness is a riveting portrait of a forty-three-year-old marriage and a meditation on how chance can affect both a life and love.
Reviews of I Married You For Happiness
- ‘This novel is an elegant vigil… a poised, readable, immediate novel’ Kate Kellaway, Observer
- ‘Captivating . . . Absorbing… You also won’t un-read this odd little book once you’ve finished it. It will make you chafe. It will strike a chord’ Marie Arana, The Washington Post
- ‘In mourning, the only comfort of science is to assert the uncertainty of all that appears real. And perhaps that is what this slight, plangent novel is telling us: that character is unreadable, that memory is perilous’ Colin Thubron, NYT
- ‘This slim brush of a book manages to accomplish in a mere 200-plus pages what many novelists try to do in twice the verbiage. . . . Examines the disguises and surprises that energize a lasting marriage’ Ellen Emry Heltzel, The Seattle Times
- ‘A magical, truthful tale’ Huffington Post