Sugar is addictive, toxic and everywhere. Find out how your sweet tooth might be nibbling you to death in this straight-talking exposé.
‘Fat Chance’, documents the science and the politics that has led to the pandemic of metabolic syndrome – which results in conditions like obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Dr Robert Lustig exposes how changes in the food industry and in our wider environment have affected our collective metabolisms and our waistlines, and he shows how industry and political forces, motivated by greed, don’t want things to change.
To help us lose weight and recover our health, Lustig presents personal strategies to readjust the key hormones that regulate hunger and reward and suggests societal strategies to improve the health of the next generation. Discover how every calorie is different and that cutting out sugar is not just about making us thin – it’s about making us healthier, happier and smarter.
Reviews of Fat Chance: The bitter truth about sugar
- A top ten New York Times bestseller
- ‘This important book could finally push you to shed those extra pounds, if not save your life’ Evening Standard
- ‘A fascinating new book’ Daily Mail
- ‘Fascinating and topical.’ Daily Express
- ‘His lucid and well-informed analysis should help inform the debate on this ever-expanding problem.’ Sunday Times
- ‘Lustig explains the biochemistry of metabolism, and the vicious cycle of obesity, with patient clarity’ Guardian
- ‘Lustig offers way that we can help ourselves and improve our health … but his chief aim is a new regulatory climate’ Telegraph
- ‘Crammed full of hard-hitting insights that may shock the reader into immediate dieter change (and it did me)’ Barbara J King, TLS
- ‘The best book I’ve read on the relationship between diet and health.’ Dr Andrew Weil
- ‘Lustig has all the shocking facts at his finger tips, but he also has strategies to help us wean ourselves off the white stuff … the book to get your new year off to a virtuous start’ The Guardian, ‘Food Books of the Year’