COOKBOOK OF THE YEAR 2016, Spectator
‘The definitive book about the food of Spain’ Rose Prince
Brindisa, the renowned Spanish fine food import company, has become a byword for excellent Spanish food. Brindisa:The True Food of Spain is the ultimate in contemporary Spanish cooking, including classic regional recipes, tapas dishes and information about the very best ingredients and food producers.
Monika Linton founded Brindisa in 1988. After the arrival of the ground-breaking shop in Borough Market, the first Brindisa tapas restaurant opened in Borough Market in 2004, and Brindisa has since grown to include five London restaurants and another in Barcelona. Ranging from the most unusual artisan dishes to the classics of Spanish cooking, this recipe collection draws on Brindisa’s specialist knowledge to introduce you to delights such as jamon iberico de bellota, chorizo, cured ham and fish, fumet (rich Catalan fish stock), farmhouse cheeses, prepared pulses, olive oils and vinegars, sweet treats and storecupboard basics that are essential for Spanish and Mediterranean cooking.
Covering the unique way good food is integral to everyday Spanish life, ranging from traditional breakfasts to substantial lunches, small plates of Spanish food and very simple suppers for during the week, to big family get-togethers at the weekend, this is not just a book about recipes, but a true celebration of Spain, its food, people, countryside and producers.
Reviews of Brindisa: The True Food of Spain
- ‘This book is a joy’ Diana Henry
- ‘Monika has been championing the best Spanish ingredients for 30 years, hugely influencing the way we cook and eat now. This is a fascinating and wonderful book, so obviously written with love’ Samantha Clark, Moro
- ‘This book, an opus of knowledge, experience and judicious good taste, from one of everyone’s great food heroes, Monika Linton, captures everything wonderful and life affirming about Iberian cuisine’ Jackson Boxer, Brunswick House
- ‘A superb bringing to the page of Monika’s love and respect for Spain and, most importantly, an elegant, engaging and gentle way with its produce’ Jeremy Lee, Quo Vadis
- ‘A totally awe-inspiring cookbook, written from a deep knowledge and understanding of Spanish artisan foods, with carefully chosen recipes to celebrate each beautiful ingredient – a gem’ Darina Allen, Ballymaloe Cookery School
- ‘It is not only a wonderful food book, but also a fascinating journey through Spain’ Nieves Barragán Mohacho, Barrafina
- ‘Not only does Monika give us delicious recipes, but her understanding of Spanish food culture and history is enthralling. As she rightly says, it’s not all about tapas’ Angela Hartnett, Murano
- ‘Monika Linton’s Brindisa: The True Food of Spain is a beautiful authority on Spanish gastronomy. Full of both unusual and classic dishes … its proof there’s more to Spanish fare than tapas’ Stylist