Strudel, Noodles and Dumplings is a cook book about Germany’s varied culinary heritage seen through the eyes of Anja Dunk’s family recipes, most of which have been given a new life in her young family kitchen.
From recipes such as Vollkorn-Buttermilch Waffeln (Wholewheat buttermilk waffles) to Schweinebraten mit Kummel (Caraway roast pork) and Zucchini und Gruener Paprika Salat in Joghurt Sosse (Courgette and green pepper salad with yogurt dressing) home-cooked German food is gently spiced, smoky, buttery and deeply savoury, yet sweet and sour. Anja’s way of cooking is vibrant, honest and deeply intertwined with the seasons and the weather. Featuring over 200 simple recipes for the everyday family table, as well as a handful for special occasions, Anja’s cook book will be an essential guide for all the basics of German cuisine, at the same time as providing inspiration and encouragement for cooking through the year.
Reviews of Strudel, Noodles and Dumplings
- ‘There are fewer taste buds I trust more in the world than Anja’s. She has an extraordinary understanding of flavour and you can bet that these beautiful and original recipes are 100% foolproof, too’ Meera Sodha
- ‘Anja’s writing is warm, evocative, engaging and transportive. There is a sense of old fashioned storytelling about it, and her recipes are clear and confident, you sense immediately you are in safe, experienced hands– I love that. One of the most original and inviting books I have seen for a long time’ Rachel Roddy
- ‘Just what the doctor ordered: straightforward no-nonsense family-friendly home-cooking in the German tradition that’ll work for everyone who wants to set good food on the table without fuss’ Elisabeth Luard
- ‘German food is having a bit of a moment and on the basis of this book there’s much to learn and appreciate…There’s a lightness, a roundedness and a soothing simplicity in everything she makes.’ Diana Henry, Sunday Telegraph, Best Books
- ‘This charming collection of recipes dispels any notions that German food is all bratwurst and stodge … It’s worth buying just for the cosy chapter on German biscuits, from cinnamon stars to Lebkuchen’ Sunday Times
- ‘Beautifully written and photographed by Dunk as well’ Independent
- ‘A compelling mix of nostalgia and new, this is an assured modern voice from an accomplished cook’ OFM