‘I am an Italian chef who has cooked in Paris and come of age in London,’ says Giorgio Locatelli. ‘Innovative, imaginative food is what people expect from me, but everything I do has its roots in classical, regional Italian cooking.’
This is the book that fans of Locatelli have been waiting for ever since he first made his name at Zafferano. The recent opening of Locanda Locatelli, widely regarded as one of the most exciting restaurants in London, has fuelled interest in this master chef.
Locatelli lights up Locanda with his big, welcoming personality, seamlessly marrying style with an all-Italian mission simply to bring people together at the table to share food, relax and enjoy good company and conversation. In the same way, his delight in food shines through on every page of this exciting new book. Whether he is reminiscing about the dishes of his native Lombardy, suggesting a starter combining the simplest and freshest ingredients, or explaining how to make the ultimate risotto, Locatelli transports the reader into his own kitchen to savour the real tastes of Italy.
Full of the insight and historical detail you might expect from a food writer, combined with the hands-on expertise of a top chef, peppered with evocative stories, and funny and often outspoken observations on the state of food today, this is the contemporary Italian food bible, from the acknowledged master of modern Italian cooking.
Reviews of Made in Italy
- ‘“Made in Italy “ is quite simply the perfect book. So many books are rattled off to accompany television series that when you come across the real thing, written in its own time and to its own agenda, it really hits you between the eyes…Buy this and you’ll never want to look at another Italian cookbook again.’ Gordon Ramsay, Times
- ‘This book is nothing short of a masterpiece.’ Nigel Slater
- ‘Packed with delicious recipes, many from his restaurant, and the reminiscences from his life, it is the ultimate gift for anyone interested in Italian food.’ Telegraph
- ‘(Locatelli’s) “Made in Italy”, is my Book of the Year and puts everything else I have on my Italian shelf in the shade.’Nigel Slater, Observer Food Monthly
- ‘”Made in Italy “by the flamboyant Italian chef Giorgio Locatelli is such a fashionable combination of charming anecdotes and stories about his family that could double as recipes.’ Saturday Telegraph Magazine
- ‘A compendium that should replace everything but Marcella Hazan on your Italian shelf.’ Kate Colquhoun, in the Daily Telegraph ‘Books of the Year
- ‘Large and handsome…most of the recipes are painstaking and lucid, and the context embraces Giorgio, his family and professional life, while guiding us effortlessly through some of the riches of Italian foodstuffs.’ Tom Jaine, The Guardian